Friday, January 14, 2011

Touchy Topic #2


Not-quite-so-touchy subject number two:

Evolution.

I was actually very surprised when I realized that the theory of evolution was widely accepted as truth.  It’s never made all that much sense to me.  Sure, on a certain scale species all adapt, evolve over time, but they don’t become new species, right?  The idea that everything, all of creation has come about by accident, without any sort of design, seems impossible.  Creation, this world, the human race... it’s all so detailed, so incredibly complicated.  Consider how much information is in even a single cell, how many cells it takes to form a human being.  Consider our sentience.  How can I believe that all of this has come about by mere chance?  How can there be a creation without a Creator?

A favorite quote of mine from Mark Lowry: “If I took my watch apart...put it in a bag, and shook it up for billions of years...what are the odds that, when I’m done, I will reach into the bag and pull out a watch, ticking and on time? Order does not come from chaos!”

There’s no absolute, unquestionable proof of God.  There can’t be, I think (though I often wish with all my heart that there was).  It wouldn’t be “faith” then, it wouldn’t be a choice to believe, and I think that would mess with free will.

Or at least that’s how I rationalize it.

Sometimes I think trying to explain things of faith with evidence of science can only get you so far.  Maybe trying to answer a question of faith with facts is a little like trying to explain addition and multiplication in colors, or trying to describe a sunset with mathematical equations.  It’s just not quite the same language.

It's a bit like logic and emotions.  It's good to know why you're feeling a certain way, that the feeling won't last forever, etc, but in the end, what loneliness really wants is companionship, not words.  What sorrow really wants is comfort, not verbal reassurances (though those are all well and good).  What that hole in your heart, in your soul, really wants is to be whole.  And logic can't fill that; only God can.

Admittedly, trying to wrap my head around the concept of a Creator who has simply always been, before time and space and matter, is pretty much impossible.  I believe it, but that doesn’t mean I understand it.  I can see how it would be a struggle to believe that.  If something can’t come from nothing, where’d the Creator come from?

I still find it easier to believe than this all being an accident, but I can see where the doubts come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment