Friday, January 14, 2011

Heaven, Hell, & God...


How could a good God send people to hell?

The easy answer: Because though he is merciful, he’s also just.  He’s a holy God who cannot abide sin, and we’re all stained with it.  He can’t give us a free pass into heaven and still be a fair God. There has to be consequences, a penalty for every sin in order for there to be justice.  Hell, eternal separation from God is that penalty.  The only way to escape that is to accept Christ paying that penalty for you.

As far as the unfairness of “good people” going to hell, where exactly would you draw that line? Have only rapists and murders sentenced to hell?  What about crimes of self-defense?  Or crimes of passion people are truly repentant for?  Or murders committed during wars, under orders, or to protect other people?  Would thieves get into heaven?  Would it depend on what they stole?  The fact is none of us are good enough for heaven by God’s perfect standards.

The harder answer: I don’t know.  I really don’t understand a lot of things, and this is something I struggle with a lot.  It all looks well and good on paper, but to actually stop and think that someone I love might be sent to hell… It puts a different spin on things.

The Bible says things are black and white: either you put your faith in Christ and go to heaven, or you refuse and go to hell.

Now, I’ve heard more than one theory on what hell really is: literal fire and brimstone or simply eternal separation from God.  We see different interpretations in our effort to reconcile a God who loves us and a God who would send people (imperfect people, people who have chosen not to walk with him, yes, but people we love nonetheless) to hell.

Struggling with things like this makes it rather hard to witness to others.  How can I try to convince them of things I’ve been taught when I question them myself?

The thing is, I don’t need to understand everything.  I don’t need to be able to see God’s plan to believe He’ll do the right thing, whatever it is.  That’s what faith is, right?  I’m okay with however it ends because I know God loves the people I love even more than I do, sins and all.  So I’ll trust, just trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment