Thursday, January 27, 2011

Objections to God

               Alright, I’ll admit I was kind of hoping all that ranting would spark a conversation or two (despite also being a little afraid of just that).  I’ll admit though, my blog is a lot of rambling to slog through.
               So now I’m asking outright.  For those of you who are atheist, agnostic, or undecided: why don’t you believe in God?  What are you biggest objections to Christianity, faith, or religion in general?
               Pleased speak up.  I might argue with you, but I won’t be mean.  (Seriously guys, if commenting on other people’s comments, non-judgmental replies only.  It’s okay to disagree.  It’s not okay to try to make other people feel stupid).  Comment anonymously if you like, but comment.
               Some of you that I love the most don’t believe in God.  I haven’t asked why because I hate to argue and part of me is scared you’ll give me a reason I can’t argue with.  But I’m asking now.  Please.  I want to know.
               I wondered if I should do this a little less… anonymously, in an open blog post like this, but face to face confrontation terrifies me and I think clearer when I type things out than when I talk.
               I’d also like to get other people’s input on all of this, but if you’d rather, you can email me or send me a private facebook message.
               I realize that you have the right to believe whatever you like without other people butting into it, but I love you, and it scares me that you’re an atheist.  I’d at least like to know why, to have some sort of chance to discuss it with you.

               For those of you who do believe in God: what are the things you struggle with the most?  What have you struggled with in the past?  What got you through it?
               Don’t be shy.  I don’t think it’s wrong to admit that we struggle, that we’re human and that we don’t have all the answers.  I know the feeling of praying for certainty and not getting it.  I know what it’s like to wonder and question and doubt.
               I also believe faith perseveres in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment