Thursday, March 3, 2011

Abortion

I don’t get how abortion is so widely accepted as an option.  I really don’t.

I mean, no matter the reasoning behind it, no matter the situation, it’s still the murder of an innocent.  If doctor’s were killing newborns for any reason, people would be horrified, right?  Wouldn’t they?  Please tell me they would.  I don’t get why killing a baby before it takes its first breath is any better.

Even if you don’t believe in souls, a fetus is a life, a unique set of genetics that’s never going to be duplicated.  How is taking that life, killing a fetus any less murder just because it hasn’t finished developing yet?

I know babies are a big responsibility, that pregnancy can be a painful, life-altering burden but consider this:

If it was a newborn instead of a fetus, but for some reason the mother would still be stuck with it for nine months before they could give it up for adoption, would you still consider killing it a practical option?  Even if it were a burden and a source of heartache, if it was outside the womb, living and breathing, could you condone killing it?

Why is a fetus any different?  Because you can’t hear it cry when it dies?  Because it hasn’t finished growing?  Because it’s socially acceptable?

I just don’t understand.

2 comments:

  1. While I agree that the majority of abortion users don't have any good reason behind it, there are some situations where I think it is appropriate.

    For example, it can be used by those who've been impregnated through rape. Why punish the mother to carry the child of the man that they might not even know? Either way, this man has ruined the mother's life, giving her emotional and maybe even physical scars.

    Another situation involves a mother's life being threatened by keeping her child. Some situations, if the child is far enough along, could mean a C-section, which is perfectly fine. But what if the baby is too young and the mother can't wait? Then there's really no choice for that mother than to have an abortion. Sad, yes, but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll agree with the second one. Sadly sometimes there's simply no way to save both mother and child.

    I think I have to disagree with the first. I'm more hesitant here, because rape is such a horrible thing and it's in no way fair to the woman who's been through so much already. To make her go through all those months of pregnancy, medical bills, and then the labor and birth instead of letting her get on with her life... That's frankly horrible.

    But at the same time, it's not the baby's fault either. Does the child deserve to be killed to make things easier for the woman (though I believe rape victims deserve every other break they can get)? It's a hard question and a terrible situation. I'm really not trying to minimize the pain and trama of rape victims. But I have to stand by my belief that murder is murder and not even the heartache of a rape victim justifies killing a child.

    Perhaps it's a good thing it's not up to me, huh?

    ReplyDelete